Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Whoa, Ecclesiastical Catastrophe Averted!

Long story short: Valentine's Day fell on a Sunday and I thought to myself-- a GREAT day to receive new members at Trinity! (Truth be told, it was a bit of a weird Sunday. Due in part to my poor worship planning that one day was: New Member Sunday, Mardi Gras Sunday-- the last Sunday before Lent with live jazz, the final Sunday of my sermon series 'Sex and Sexuality,' Valentine's Day, and-- our annual Boy Scout Sunday. Yes. REALLY.).
One woman who'd planned on either being "welcomed" as a friend or joining as a member was unable to come to our New Members Class the day before. Then, she and I weren't able to communicate until Sunday morning about which she would prefer. ANYWAY, after brief check-in with her just minutes before worship, she decided that she'd go with the "friend" option and join the church on a later date.
Only days later, in reflection did I realize I'd averted a huge ecclesiastical catastrophe! This sweet woman, as far as I know, hasn't been baptized - a "must!" to join a UM church! Uff da! That was a close one! Thankfully, she and I are both well after this near-miss (no lightning bolts from heaven as far as I know), but this was just another reminder to me that as a pastor I can never be off my game-- not even for a minute.

No comments: