Tuesday, May 27, 2008

General Conference #4

(Blogging from General Conference...)
 

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw her rainbow-colored-stole and grabbed her hand. The words had just been said "I believe the body is ready for a vote…" by the chairperson and tears were running down my cheeks.

The vote was one of the most important and critical of my three days of observation, and possibility the last 36 years of United Methodist Church. It was a vote to take the words "Homosexuality is incompatible with Christian teaching" out of the Social Principles of the Book of Discipline since the time they were placed there in 1972 (at least so I hear…).

It turns out that the woman's name was Vicky (something). The vote didn't end up being at that very moment—there were a couple of pathetic delay tactics by the Fundies. But Vicky and I had a chance to introduce ourselves (since I didn't know her before I grabbed her hand) and exchange a few stressed looks/ googling eyes with others in the gallery before the real vote took place.

And it happened. It really happened.

The vote was 39-28. And – those hateful words were changed out for some "middle-of-the-road" language (that wasn't strong enough as I would have liked) that doesn't condemn and states that we, as United Methodists, actually disagree. Wow. Actual honesty. How refreshing.

I hope that you will pray for our church in the next few days. Let's pray that as this resolution moves to the plenary in the next few days, there will be more Methodists who will have their hearts strangely warmed.

http://www.generalconference2008.org/2008/04/petition-on-par.html

No comments: