Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Why I Swear


I swear.


I know that’s not so cool with some folks. Some might not like it because it’s not "proper." Others find themselves in a generation where it just wasn’t (and still isn’t) ok. Others think there’s something prohibiting it in the Ten Commandments (wrong). Then there are those who are horrified by the thought that a pastor would say such things (well, here I am…oops?!).


So why do I swear? I think I swear because I don’t have tattoos. I think I swear because I don’t have piercings or wear bikinis. I think I swear to express myself. You know, to be me. I’m not into that other stuff; but for some reason I’m into swearing.


You could say that it’s to separate myself from the crowd—not in a sense that I have to prove something—but as a way to distinguish myself. It could also be my sorry attempt at pushing the envelope, trying to be edgy.


I guess I’m not even that cool to try to be cool. My mouth just flies sometimes and unless in inappropriate settings, I haven’t seen the need to control it. It’s my way to be real. Oh, yeah. And I’m human.


About three years ago I was leading a camping weekend out at one of our United Methodist camps. A new member of the church sat down with me on the dock and the two of us had a great, deep conversation about church, pastors, denominations and all the "stuff" that we’ve seen or put up with over the years. It only seemed natural to come up with some four-lettered words describing how pastors or priests have abused, churches have failed, and denominations don’t get it.


This new member halted our conversation. "Did you just say what I think you said?" he asked. Feeling pretty comfortable from our talk and the vibes I got from the guy, I said "Yeah…!" and shared with him my thoughts about getting real and being real as a person and Christian (expressions, thoughts, language and all!)—and yes, even as clergy.


"A pastor that swears--- that is so refreshing!" he said. Then he demonstrated his own command on the language with some new vocabulary and we continued our talk without holding back or feeling constricted.


So let’s be clear. I don’t swear around little kids or grandmas or drop the F-bomb in worship. But I do believe in being real, expressing myself in appropriate times and places in a way that people can relate to and in a way they’d even use themselves. I believe that we get too caught up in the little stuff (ever noticed how short those words are?) and lose sight of the big stuff. Like Jesus. Like God. And like being faithful. Those are the things that I’ll do my best not to disrespect.


In thinking about this blog, I wrote a former professor of mine from seminary, Bruce Birch—he’s the Dean at Wesley Theological Seminary in Washington, DC. He was the one who taught us that "Do not take thy Lord’s name in vain" had nothing to do about swearing (which as a 23 year-old who liked to swear thought was the coolest thing she’d ever learned in higher ed).


Below you can see his response to my question about "fowl language." I made a little mistake with spelling—should have been "foul" language… Anyway—you’ll enjoy his response—he’s the best and funniest teacher I ever had (even at times when it’s at my own expense…!).


The Ten Commandments and Language
The Ten Commandments given to Moses lay down important guidelines for our lives that are still relevant today. Of course, the difference between ancient times and our own means that some translation and interpretation is necessary. A good example of this is the third commandment "You shall not take the Lord's name in vain." Traditionally this has been taken to be a commandment to forbid swearing. Thus, it would be a commandment opposed to "foul" language. Considerable confusion has been cast over the matter, however, by the recent article published by Prof. Sidney A. Dumbcluck. He reminded readers of the overwhelmingly rural background of the Old Testament and proposed that this commandment was really intended to prohibit "fowl" language. The chicken, as were many other animals, was revered by the Canaanites. Of course, the "fowl" image of such birds was forbidden as an object of worship. This makes the third commandment a direct outgrowth of the second commandment forbidding idolatry. It should be read "You shall not use the Lord's name in a "vane," referring to the use of the rooster image in eathervanes. Such association of the Lord's name with a "fowl" image is strictly forbidden. Now as clever as Prof. Dumbcluck's hypothesis seems, it is entirely wrongheaded and incorrect. The commandment does indeed have to do with "foul" language rather than "fowl" language, but both Prof. Dumbcluck and the traditional interpreters have missed an important hermeneutical clue. The entire Bible begins with a reference to baseball--"In the big inning..." Gen. 1:1a. Thus, the commandment has to do with our response when life gives us a sweet pitch right down the center of the plate and the best we can do is "foul" it off. We miss our chance at hitting the home run grooved for us by God and hoped for by all those family members and parishioners rooting for our leadership at the plate. Of course, this often leads to "foul" language of the coarser variety so swearing and "fouled" pitches are indeed, at times, related. The Decalogue ("log" here may refer to a baseball bat, thus, "ten bats"--God's grace is more generous than the three strikes usually allowed) is still clearly relevant to our modern lives as we attempt to follow God's will for our lives. There is no need for "foul" language when we "foul" the opportunities given to us by God. Our efforts need not be in "vain" if we stand in and boldly take our swings, assuming that we resist the temptation to chicken out.
Have a great
day!
Bruce

3 comments:

supsiliz said...

Why I [don't] swear
It's an interesting topic, at least to me.
I am fully aware that the third commandment has little to do with vocabulary however, there is little doubt that the prohibition would involve the issue of "swearing,” that is taking an oath. The 'bigger' issue has to do with "ambassadorship,” how we as individuals represent the King. I've met others with your basic views as to the language they use. Asserting that they are more relational and relevant to those they are trying to 'reach' with the good news of Jesus Christ by "talking as they talk" so to speak. I've come to approach this issue from a different angle.
As far as how we represent the King in this matter, it's not simple. In fact, I recently wrote a paper about church history, traditions, and my basic presuppositions concerning these. At one point in the paper, I take to explaining what the gospel is and what it is not. I explain how I can and do easily give the wrong message by my attitudes and my actions. Part of it I am assured isn't really my fault; rather it is just a general misconception about what it means to "live for God.” I can however, inadvertently be portraying a message that I behave correctly and therefore I'm 'saved' or I have the Grace and favor of God. (This is backwards) To illustrate I used the common saying, "I don't drink, cuss, smoke or chew or run with girls that do." However, I then proceeded to explain how I view my abstaining in three representative areas as evidence of the working of the Grace of God in my 'inner' life. I start with 'cussing'. Could someone quit cussing without reference or regard for how they represent God? Sure, no question! But for me I try to explain without using too much "christianeez" how something literally changed in me that made me more sensitive when it came to ‘foul’ language. (Mostly in anger) For quite awhile, after I considered myself a follower of Christ Jesus I thought it didn’t, matter it was just words, and who decided it was "foul" anyway. After this 'change' however, I knew that if I used that language in everyday speech it would continue to pour out all the more freely in anger. So I quit! You know how difficult it is to be intimidating, to sound 'mean and tuff' without cussing? It's a joke! Thinking back, I remember how my mom was always very sensitive to this. Even the dog would get really nervous and try to hide. I'm sure with the dog it was the tone of the words not the words themselves that would fill her with terror, but with my mom definitely the words themselves really bothered her. I never could understand that and I was very disrespectful. This of course brings up a totally different commandment, but it also brings up my final point and how I have come to view the issue of 'cussing'. You yourself note that around certain 'types' of people you control your tongue. Why? It's a sign of respect. I make the point and broad assertion that

"although “cussing” is a habit almost everyone has someone that they can and do control it around. At least to some extent!"

Something equally interesting and perplexing to me is the effect on other people. Sure having no qualms about 'swearing' may be refreshing to some because it can be used as evidence that you are not "holier than thou,” that you are a 'down to earth real person'. But since I have quit I have noticed other interesting things. First, I didn't tell anyone I didn't 'cuss' I just didn't 'cuss'. So it was really amazing to me when people started commenting by there own observation on that fact." But the really perplexing thing was when I started having complete strangers I just met on the streets apologizing to me because they knew I was a Christian and their language was in their own mind, inappropriate for me. Who am I? I'm nobody why should they care? It happened again just today in fact, at work. My co-worker apologized to me for 'cussing'. I don't even know what he said; furthermore, it didn't bother me a bit. However, I told him that it was very respectful and I appreciated it. Where does this respect come from? Certainly not everyone I'm gonna' meet is going to display it. I've never scolded or correcting anyone on this point, although I have thrown out an occasional "is LORD" or "is King" when someone said "Jesus Christ!" as a word of discontent. But anyway when people display the aforementioned sensitivity it makes me ask the question, "how does the Holy Spirit convict the world of sin?" In the end I must conclude, "Although all things may be lawful not all things are advantageous." The most difficult thing to work out is how to live by our personal convictions without trying to impose them on everyone else meanwhile not exalting our own liberties above the welfare of our brothers and sisters in the Lord.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Celular, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://telefone-celular-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Jerry Eckert said...

Rev. Jeremiah Wright and his lay leader often went golfing together. One sunny Saturday morning, they were enjoying the links . . . except, the layman was upset by Rev. Wright's blue language whenever the putt missed the cup. "G. D. it, I missed!" Rev. Wright persisted in saying.

The layman finally got fed up with it and and prayed, "O God, if he says it one more time, strike him with lightning!"

Rev. Wright lined up the putt, tapped the ball, and it curled around the cup and out. "G. D. it," he said, "I missed!"

Flash of lightning! Crash of thunder! There lay the layman singed to a crisp!

Voice from heaven came, "G. D. it, I missed!"

--A joke older than you, Amanda.--